Friday 6 July 2012

Once upon a time...



Once upon a time I was a Chalet Girl!
That’s right.
I was.
Me? The Chalet Girl?
Yep, this girl woman you see before you with baby sick on her jeans and a mascara smudge on her cheek, once upon a time lived the dream in The Three Vallies
Once upon time I lived in France (and never spoke French); my boss was a Lady (as in the title); cleaned the bogs of the rich and famous (well someone off Corrie and the drummer from Status Quo); necked a toffee vodka shot daily (warmed you up); skied whenever I wanted (not THAT much) and woke up to this…
That fresh air did wonders for a hangover.


Me and Soph; Chalet Girls!
 And I got to share it all with my best mate!
The chalet we worked in was beautiful! And an absolute bitch to clean. It slept twelve, not including the two bedraggled and inebriated chalet girls who slept in the cloak room.
(Seriously, when the chalet was out of season the family who owned it used our bedroom as a “Cloakroom”). 

Thankfully we had been best friends since we were 11 and knew each other very well, as that small space tested us, our friendship and our sanity!
But that tiny room was for just for sleeping. We were in Meribel baby! The rest of the time we partied… And skied… Of course! Oh and cleaned and cooked – we did that A LOT!



There I am - ski jumping!
 But what I remember most was the freedom… The freedom of the cold, thin air against your face as the skyline raced past as a blurry snow-topped mountain. The freedom of space, space that can only be found when the world around you is trapped under snow. Freedom from deadlines, bills and paper. Freedom from magazines, Television and fashion. Freedom gained by being frozen in a time, a place and a moment. We were frozen from when we arrived and the first snow fell till it melted away and we left.
Once upon a time I was a chalet girl… I watched decent live music every night of the week, I had great skin that only a high altitude can give, spent my free time on a pair of skies, ate the rarest steak known to a Briton, danced in ski boots, snogged a stranger in salopettes, laughed hysterically in a cable car, found friends in strange places, came home with the bread van, went to a bin bag ball and watched the world from a mountain top!

 Once upon a time that Chalet Girl was me!


Check out the brains behind the badge for "Once upon a time..." at Older Mum in a Muddle.




Once Upon A Time

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant. Loved this. Sounds like you had such an exciting time ... and what a wonderful place to be .... and what fun you had. Susch and adventure with your best mate. I absolutely loved the description about that freedom; loved this sentence, "he freedom of space, space that can only be found when the world around you is trapped under snow." Great writing!X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you inspiring lady you!

      Delete
  2. I meant - "such an" adventure ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree, lovely writing. I'm not sure I've ever felt that kind of freedom. I seem to have moved from being under my mother's thumb to being ruled by my five-year-old...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, and leaving a lovely comment x x x I'm glad I did it... It was bloody hard work at times, but SO worth it.

      Delete
  4. Ahh, what lovely memories. What it is to be young a carefree eh?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So glad you read and commented! Yep it was a blast!

      Delete